Thursday, February 5, 2015

Tiny Tips: On Goals

Among my writing gigs, i write a lot about careers and how to conduct interviews, set goals, and generally succeed in wowing your employers. It's given me a lot of insight into how i could have conducted myself better during my past periods of employment, and how to translate some of that information into succeeding as a freelancer.
Plenty of time for this too...

I read this piece about creating a goals poster one day and have used it as a reference for several pieces i've written. After reading it, the information started to sink in. So i tried it -- setting a goal that may have seemed impossible, but naming it clearly and believing it will happen. And guess what? It is.

I don't want to believe that living in my beloved city of Portland was keeping me from achieving my goals. I want to believe that it's still the city for me when i return. But by leaving what i loved, i was able to give myself a shakeup, to re-evaluate, and to spend the time i would otherwise spend socializing semi-obsessing about meeting certain financial and career goals. Like that article outlines, sometimes simply naming what you want starts to make it real. Try it -- it works!

___________________________________

In case you need another boost to get yourself going and to start achieving those goals, here's another way to get your shakeup: check out The Blast Network, a team of women helping women transform their lives through career coaching and teaching you how to live your life on purpose.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Nico! OMG thanks for the shout out. Just love your blog and I keep my "goals" in the form of a vision board on a coffee table. Everyone sees it but I don't care, I want to keep it in front of me so I don't forget where I want to be headed. SO glad you wrote about this and gave it your own spin.

Nico said...

Vision boards are so great Jen! I've been meaning to make a more formal one myself. Gotta get on it! Thanks for the ups.