Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Confusion

I don't know who's more freaked out. Me, or the poor unsuspecting souls i occasionally invite over for dinner and drinks and flirtations. The script goes something like this:

I have someone over for dinner and drinks and flirtations, and later in the night, my daughter ends up whispering in my ear, "so Mama, am I gonna have a stepdad now?"

And then let's say that same person comes over again for dinner and drinks and such and when he walks through the door, my daughter calls out "Hi Dad!"

I mean, seriously. I, of course, am not trying to put those thoughts in her head. Quite the opposite, in fact. I am happy in my independence. But the girl whose name is short for independence would rather see me strapped down, if only so she can live some archaic dream of having the family that looks complete in the frame on the wall. And i don't blame her. I would have given anything at one point to live an idyllic life with her father and not have her subject to the disagreements and disapproval and domestic violence that has been in her life. I'd also love to excuse her from having to figure out at such a young age what the rules of dating are, and how to regard her mother's love interests. And now apparently i have to somehow explain to this poor innocent that sometimes people just "hang out..."

...but that doesn't mean they're going to get married and perhaps they don't even love each other and just remember, dear, that you already have a father who loves you and just because Daddy's found someone else doesn't mean Mama is lonely... and you'll always be the most important person in my life, even when you invite someone over for dinner and drinks and flirtation and suddenly i'm whispering in your ear, "so daughter, am i gonna have a son-in-law now?"

1 comment:

Scott said...

Ha! That is funny. (As a dad and recovering childless person who dated a woman with a daughter once, I can appreciate that.